Have fun. Learn something. Raise money. Do good.
SHARING THE GIFT OF LITERACY
A Celebration of 10 Years
September 4th , 2014
New York, NY
Special thanks to Ginger Turner and Jessica Antonelli.
10 Reasons to Love
SMART Family Literacy
Updated August 15, 2016
1. We've given more than 50,000 children's books to families with young children since 2004. Currently, our giving rate is 1,300 books per month.
2. Vegetable education initiatives like "Read and Seed Days" fight childhood obesity and diabetes through children's books and hands-on gardening activities.
3. The SMART Team has read aloud with thousands of young children each year and we're scaling up to reach many times more in 2017.
4. An independent evaluator gave high marks to our evidence-based interactive early childhood reading project presented in classrooms.
5. We're closing the "30 million word gap" with our creative reading programs, rich in vocabulary in both English and Spanish.
6. SMART integrates science, math, art, reading, and technology, which we view as 5 branches of the same tree.
7. The "Sing a Book" outreach to child care centers reaches the youngest children in need with books and nutrition education. SMART supports UTMB's "Reach Out and Read" with books given to babies during well child visits to pediatricians.
8. Our signature family literacy events, known as "SMART Parties", provide a fun and relaxed home-based approach to the serious issue of early childhood literacy.
9. SMART books and volunteers have helped children in the USA, El Salvador, Mexico, and South Africa.
10. In the next 10 years, the SMART Team will expand outreach efforts with a customized vehicle, short parent education videos, and a family literacy center.
WE LOVE YOU BACK!
Thank you to our donors and sponsors! You make it possible for us to buy new board books for babies and toddlers, provide college interns with experience in a community nonprofit, "keep the lights on," and so much more. .