Things to Read that are NOT Books
Words are Everywhere!
1. A cereal box
MATHIFY IT: Read the nutrition label
2. The movie section of the newspaper
3. Street signs
5. Restaurant menus
MATHIFY IT: Read the prices
6. Gas pumps
MATHIFY IT: Read the prices and the gallons
Batteries are classified with letters, such as AA, AAA, B, C, D, 9 volt. Also notice the + and - signs.
8. The size inside your shoes
11. Clothing size tags
12. Fire extinguishers
13. Tools in the hardware store or garage
14. Manhole covers or plaques in the sidewalks
1. HAVE FUN! Smile and be enthusiastic about reading.
2. READ SOMETHING THAT LEADS TO MORE FUN. For example, read the movie listings in the newspaper and then go to the movies.
3. SOCIALIZE WHILE READING A BOOK. Children like to read with someone special, like you, so read with your children. Cuddle up.
4. READ THE SIGNS. Everywhere you go, you’ll see signs, such as: stop, one way, danger, and subway. All signs are potential reading practice sessions.
5. CONNECT READING WITH GOOD FOOD. Read menus, recipes, and cereal boxes.
6. POP some popcorn and have a reading party!
7. CREATE SOUND EFFECTS! Make noises like animals or machines and bring stories to life! READ WITH EMOTION!
8. ENCOURAGE! Use an upbeat voice, and say things, such as:"Oh! I see we are going to read about animals!"“Great! I’m in the mood for a good story.” “Wow! That’s a red car!” (Observe and describe.) “You are getting better and better at this!” “Reading with you is fun!” “Thank you for sharing this book with me.” “I was thinking it’s about time for a story. Why don’t you choose one and we’ll read it together.” “Every time we read together I notice how many new words you’ve learned!” “I love to listen to you read. You are very good at it.”
9. VISIT THE LIBRARY AND CHECK OUT BOOKS!
10. ENCOURAGE YOUR CHILD TO ASK QUESTIONS. If you don’t know the answers, you can reply, “That’s a good question.”
SMART Tips For Reading Aloud to Young Children
Touch or click on the blue buttons to select a short readable and entertaining video!
You might also see our videos at our family SMART Parties at The Spot!
Galveston County Families! You are invited to a FREE & FUN FAMILY SMART Party at the Spot on Seawall Blvd. from 6 to 7 pm December 3, January 14, February 11! Hands-on activities and FREE Books for children ages 8 weeks to 8 years! For more information, email SMARTFamilyLiteracy@gmail.com.